Monday, March 30, 2015

Moments.


Early into my therapy career, I learned that I could take songs and create groups from them. One of the first music therapy groups I facilitated (with the help of my amazing supervisor at the time) was processing the song "Moments" by Emerson Drive. It was a song I had heard once or twice, but not being a country music listener I hadn't had much exposure. After hearing the song for the first time, I was hooked, and have regularly used these lyrics in music therapy groups throughout the years.



As I consider life's "moments", I'm reminded of my own and how they've shaped who I am as a person today... moving across the state for college, ending a best friendship, getting married, letting go of unhealthy relationships, taking risks for my career. Each moment has both positively shaped by life and created consequences that cannot be changed. I also think of events to come, the reality of losing people who are close to me and having to find a "new normal".

The above quote about life's moments being divided into "before this" and "after this" is so true as I consider who I was before and after difficult and life-changing events. Often times we don't realize the impact of a life decision... things can turn out much better or much worse than we'd imagined in our minds.

No matter the outcome, I've learned to embrace the decisions that I make. Or, I'm at least working to embrace them. I'm learning that I make decisions based on the person I am today, not the person that I will become... and that as a result, I need not punish myself down the road if a decision or choice turned out badly. I'm also learning to be at peace about decisions that were made by others and affected me on the resulting end. For the most part, I'm learning that we all do the best we can given a particular situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment