Friday, February 13, 2015

It scares me.


Around this time last year, I had my resignation letter typed, printed, and signed. I kept it with me until the pain of the burning from carrying inside of my pocket for two weeks was too much. It scared me to think about life beyond the job that I had held for 8 years. It scared me to leave the security of my twice-a-month paycheck and invite my pay to be determined by insurance reimbursement. It scared me to have to search for clients instead of them magically landing on my schedule. It scared me to not have the protection of an organization.

Looking back almost one year later, I'm so glad that I had the courage to let go and invite something new and scary into my life.

Teaching has always been something that I've wanted, but at the university level it is difficult to teach without a doctorate. Which would require research. Ask Dr. Whatley from VSU's Psychology department about my incredible research skills, and he'll quote you the words of my discussion section on the last research paper I did... "This sucks." 

It's difficult to teach when you don't have a doctorate. When you don't have experience. When you have a full time job. When you have clients who have fluctuating schedules and need you throughout the day. And when you have a list of the things that you DON'T have, it's difficult to see the things that you DO have....

A flexible schedule.
Experience leading community/organizational groups.
Creativity and organization.
A masters degree.
Passion for helping others learn.

Last week, I did something else scary. I applied for a job as an adjunct instructor at the local community college.

And got it.

Spring quarter, I'll be an adjunct instructor teaching two Human Growth and Development courses. It scares me. It excites me. It makes me smile. 

Sometimes, doing something scary could turn out to be the best decision ever. Making a choice to risk your comfort zone has never turned out bad for me yet, and I'm learning to trust my gut more and more. Even if after 8 weeks of teaching I decide that it's not for me, I'll know that at least I tried.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! That is awesome! You're going to be SUCH a great teacher!

    Now. Give me that courage to quit my job, move to the woods by myself and work on a farm!

    ReplyDelete