Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My puzzle.

First, I must thank you all for you responses to my news on Friday. I'm still letting everything sink in... as you'll read today. :)



Are there ever days when you feel as though you want to pull the covers over your head and hide? I've felt that way before, with reason behind it.... a test in graduate school, a difficult client session, confrontation with a family member or friend. There's always been a reason. At least one that, with time to process, I can generate.

Today, I feel that way, and I haven't got the slightest idea why. I didn't have to rush to get ready this morning and was even able to relax with a friend for lunch. I sneaked a cupcake for dessert too.

But all day long, I've had this feeling. This wacky feeling of ick. Of anxiety. Of being overwhelmed. Of wanting to crawl back in bed and put the covers over my head. Of wanting to close my eyes and get lost in a dream. Or in a book.

To escape my never-ending to-do list. To avoid responsibility. To not take on other people's problems. To allow myself to wallow in self-pity.

To cut of my edge.

A friend of mine once told me that he loves that I never turn my therapist off, because I sit with my thoughts long enough to figure out my own issues. I laugh, because I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

In the midst of my internal pity party, I remind myself that I know that I have a lot on my plate. I know that I have a lot going on right now, but that my plate is full of good things that bring me joy. Things that if I honestly had to cut out, I'd have a difficult time letting anything loose.

I remind myself to take a deep breath. To dig deep. To think about how I'd lay it out for a client. Which, of course, would be to take things one day at a time. To take things FIVE MINUTES at a time if needed.

My puzzle is mine... it's curves and it's edges.


No comments:

Post a Comment