Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Cha-cha.



In college, I took a 1-hour physical education class..... Latin Dance. One night a week, I'd go to our university's gym, and dance the salsa and other Latin dances with a collection of other students. I have no idea why I signed up (I probably needed one more credit hour to keep my scholarship) but I had the most fun! Getting the hang of dance steps can be challenging... stepping forward, stepping backward, stepping to the side, cha-cha-cha. I still smile and laugh whenever I think of certain songs, and for a brief moment I remember the steps!

At lunch yesterday, I was reminded of taking steps forward... and backward... and trying not to beat myself up for those times when things seem like they are sliding. A friend was talking about getting caught up in the drama of life, and needing to balance the many things on her plate. I shared that I had recently had a "high speed come apart" (my definition of an intense emotional meltdown... yes, even therapists have them) and feeling drained and exhausted afterward. She said that she identified, and that she's learning from those type of experiences. Learning that its her body's warning to re-group and collect herself. And that the next day, she feels refreshed... and is back to the races.

It got me thinking about my own emotional reaction to things, and the ways my clients describe their emotional fluctuations at times. It really is like the cha-cha. Sometimes we go forward. Sometimes we go backward. But it doesn't mean that we're a disaster. We just have to keep chugging away, and know that eventually, days will be brighter and our focus will be more clear.

1 comment:

  1. Enough Lamictal will level those emotional reactions right out of you!

    ReplyDelete