Thursday, January 14, 2016

Letting Go.



Letting go is a phrase that I've uttered no less than a billion times in therapy over the past ten years. It's so difficult to see a client hurting, but even worse when you see that their hurting themselves by holding onto things/memories/people that no longer serve them. The process of letting go can be a challenge, but it's worth it to be able to eventually look back and breathe a sigh of relief that it's over.

Today I was reminded of a hurt that my heart had been carrying for a long time. Too long. One of those hurts where you know that it's unhealthy, but you're not willing to let go of it because it carries memories. To be honest, that's my worst-favorite kind, but it seems to be the hurt that creeps up most often.

At some point last year, I made a conscious effort to let go of the hurt. It hurt a lot... letting it go... but looking back, I realize it was one of the best things I did for myself. For myself, but also, one of the best things for some of my relationships too. I became more present and authentic after letting go. I didn't have to hide anymore. I didn't have to go through the motions of happiness, when I was feeling drained and distracted.

Some people say that courage is facing our demons head-on.... but sometimes, sometimes letting go without looking back is the most courageous thing we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment