Friday, September 26, 2014

Be who you are.


This Emma Watson chick is awesome. I've read several of her quotes and am awed by her insight in life.

I'd like to go a step further, though, and suggest that sensitivity and strength don't have to be seen as separate characteristics, and can be seen as parallel virtues. That sensitivity doesn't have to be perceived as weakness (though I know it often is) and that being strong doesn't have to mean that a person is void of sensitivity (though I know it often is).

I do, whole-heartedly agree with her that it is about time that we stop viewing people by their gender stereotypes and pigeonholing people into the confines that we, perhaps, have been comfortable with in the past.... that women are supposed to be the nurturers, the caregivers, the stay-at-homers. Men are to be the money-makers, the strong ones, the tough ones.

I say who cares.

All that matters is that we're happy. Tear down the walls. Pull down the tape that keeps you in your bubble. Stretch your lines of comfort. Be who you are, despite what others think. You will be so much more comfortable in the end. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment