Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Love wins.


Have you ever had a secret?
A secret so important to keep for fear of rejection that it ate you alive at times?

As a therapist, one of the interesting things about my job is that I often hear, "I've never told anyone this before" after they share a secret. After I become trustworthy enough to have a client feel comfortable to be vulnerable. And while however brief, there is a weight that is lifted. Even if only in my office, the weight that is lifted allows for deeper conversation, allows for more freedom to express thoughts and feelings. A sense of acceptance.

I've had a secret before. At times, I still have it. I carry it with me where ever I go... in the deep recesses of my mind. When I experience certain situations, I am reminded of it, but for the most part, I can work through several days or weeks without being reminded.

I know that some people can't.

Some people consistently think about their secrets. They feel trapped, living lives that they know are lies. Living a life of lies for fear of rejection. Humiliation. Fear of being treated differently, or even ignored, if they were to be honest. If they were to be real.

Eventually, there comes a time when you must take a risk. Take a risk to be honest, with yourself and with others. The risk to be real, to remove your mask, and brace yourself with the truth. Whether you are hiding from your past, hiding about your lifestyle, hiding about your hopes and dreams, or hiding from your thoughts... take a risk. Because not all risks have negative consequences. Some risks have amazing ones... like acceptance, understanding, and love.

And when love wins, it's an amazing feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment