Thursday, January 15, 2015

All of the answers.


One of my favorite moments as a therapist is when my clients find answers for their own questions. It's like a light bulb has gone off in their minds, and they're processing things as they go along.

I can totally identify with that. I have a friend who tells me that they love that I can't turn my therapist off. Even when I'm struggling with something, all it takes is an e-mail to get questions rolling, and I'm off in my head sorting everything out.

I think that sometimes, we just need a sounding board... an opportunity to get out all of the thoughts that we have swarming around in our minds, and to have a person who we trust and respect to offer thoughts and considerations that we may not see at the moment because we're so consumed. I'm not saying that therapists aren't needed in this world (hello... my occupation) but I think it's important to note that we have the ability to solve our issues. Therapy isn't about getting the answers to our questions about life. Therapy is about sorting through the muck to find solution to our struggles.

Perhaps I should consider offering clients some mud boots during session. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment