Thursday, January 29, 2015

Letter writing.


Confession: I have a horrible pattern of buying cards with the intention of sending them to important people in my life... only to temporarily lose them. My mom's birthday was on the 12th. I called her, even told her that I had a card for her. Do you think I've sent it yet? Nope.

One of the things that I love most in this world is getting mail. Not bills or flyers for every therapy conference known to man. But letters. Cards. Seeing people's handwriting. I like a comment from Facebook or a text message from a friend. But I love letters.

I've mentioned Love Languages before (if you're still in the dark about them, here's the LINK) and my top language by a landslide is words of affirmation. Which makes sense as to why I love receiving and sending letters. It's that extra little special way to show someone that you care about them. It doesn't take a lot of time or effort, but you can't help but feel good when an envelope is hand-written and addressed to you.

I wonder why we've gotten out of the habit of doing that more often. It's so much easier to send a text message. And I'm guilty of it just like everyone else, but writing on someone's wall for their birthday doesn't mean a hill of beans when you're one of 142 other people.

I challenge you.... I challenge myself... to write someone a letter today. Or even just send a card. Let someone know that you're thinking about them. Spend the $1.47 on a 99 cent greeting card and a postage stamp.

It'll mean more than you'll ever realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment