Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Hot mess.






I'm starting to think that I should rename this blog "Confessions of a Therapist."

I'm sure there's a name for what I have. Procrastinator meets super prepared... all mashed into one.

For example.

I bought my custom Christmas cards before Halloween.
I stayed up well past midnight last night preparing a bible study for this evening.
I packed my vacation bag a week in advance.
I don't throw away leftovers until they are well beyond the edible phase.
I buy birthday and other special occasion cards a month in advance.
Rarely do I remember to send them out.
I have already scheduled and planned three Christmas parties. Yes, even the menus.
I haven't taken a shower yet and need to be at work in less than an hour.

I've decided that my brain has issues. Issues of excitement and dread. Issues of incredible planning, and complete absent-mindedness. I think this is what happens to a lot of people who who want to do well in the world. People who look out for others, and sometimes forget about themselves. People who get excited about projects and opportunities, and forget the small details in life that are everyday responsibilities.
Sometimes it's important for me to pull back... before I run away with another creative idea or find another new cupcake recipe to try and bake. I need to ask myself if I've taken care of the other responsibilities I have. Sometimes (okay, a lot of the time) I am a procrastinator for the mundane, and super prepared for the fun and exciting. And that's not always a good thing.

Seeking balance.
Or, rather, needing balance.
Perhaps that's the name for what I have...

No comments:

Post a Comment