Monday, November 17, 2014

Things that are likely to annoy you...


Do you remember this amazing show? The $25,000 Pyramid. I remember watching reruns, and shouting out my answers to the television screen. I remember getting so excited for the winners... and so bummed out for the people who were thisclose to winning, only to get stuck on thinking of clues to give for "What a girdle might say".

For some reason, the $25,000 Pyramid came to mind this morning when I was considering the things in life that annoy me. Small things. Big things. Honestly, things that shouldn't even matter to me... but do. No doubt that I would be able to rattle off a laundry list if given an opportunity to give clues for "Things that are likely to annoy you".

I read a blog recently that talked about how annoying things in life are like splinters to your brain... they don't really stop us from functioning, but they're really bothersome.

Going to the grocery store after work, and realizing there are only two lanes open.
The co-worker next to you who talks loud enough to be heard over a jet engine.
Drying your hair in the morning, only to have it start raining as soon as you get to work.

I'm sure there are better examples that I can give, but these "splinters" in life are annoying. The best thing for me to do is try to pull back and evaluate. I tell my clients to think about the bigger picture... is it worth it for me to get worked up about this, or do I need to just move on? While I'm in the extremely long grocery line, it could afford me time to catch up on my e-mail. Or organize my shopping cart to make bagging easier (okay, yes, that's another annoyance of mine... canned goods and fresh bread don't belong in the same bag). Or maybe, this is an opportunity to practice my patience. To remind myself that the world doesn't revolve around me.

Sometimes, the things that annoy me are trivial.
Sometimes, they hit my core because it's something I need to work on in myself.

Either way, I need to use it as an opportunity to grow.

1 comment:

  1. This is great Kelly - love the analogy. I try really hard to be mindful in this way because about 99% of the time the things that are annoying me aren't worth the effort I put into them. :)

    ReplyDelete