Friday, November 7, 2014

Reach for it.


I have a friend.
He's a dad.
It's one of my favorite things about him.
Seeing him interact with his children.
The way his face lights up.
The way they laugh just like him.
Seeing his eyes roll when they talk about dating.
Hearing stories about their adventures together.
Helping them find their way in life.

When I say Joyce Maynard's quote above, I thought of my friend. I thought of parenting the RIGHT way. The way that doesn't include setting unrealistic expectations, criticizing as a way of changing behaviors, or engaging in a "do as I say, not as I do" manner... but instead the way that encourages personal growth, showing respect, and providing unyielding love.

Being a good parent means being a good person.
Leading by example.
And showing your children how to reach for the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment