Friday, October 24, 2014

I believe in you.



Growing up, I remember knowing more adults than children. Perhaps it was because I have a magnet personality (haha!) or because I would spend summers with my grandparents and all of their friends, or time during the weekends with my mom's friends instead of kids my age. As long as I can remember, I've always felt comfortable around adults that are older than me. Being around these adults, I can recall being enveloped by positive encouragement. Whether it came to school, extracurricular activities, or creative endeavors, I've always had a small voice in the back of my mind that I can do it... and the voices are of the adults of my youth. Perhaps it's no surprise that "Word of Affirmation" is my love language, and I not only give it to others, but respond positively when others provide affirmation to me.

The other day, I found a webpage on the internet that shared 64 positive things to say to your children. Now, I don't have kids (does my dog count?) but I have been around children a lot in the capacity of babysitting, working at a summer youth program, and through church activities. Sometimes, it's difficult to find words of praise when it's so easy to focus on the things that they don't do correctly (i.e. leave wet towels on the bathroom floor, ask "why" 5392 times a day, or forget their inside voices). Because I am a Words of Affirmation person, though, I am acutely aware of the impact that finding SOMETHING positive to say to children. Think of how good it feels to have a co-worker or boss provide encouragement to you... now consider spreading that same feel-good experience to the children in your life.

So this list of 64 things is pretty long. Good, but long. In an effort to save some reading time, here are my top selections. I'd imagine that we'd all like to hear a few of things sprinkled in our day...

1. You make me smile.
2. I have faith in you.
3. You are capable.
4. You are more than your emotions.
5. You can learn from your mistakes.
6. You make a difference in my life.
7. I believe in you.
8. I'm glad that you're here.
9. I am proud of you.
10. I love you.

Won't you consider sharing some of these with a child that you know? Even your spouse or to the person you see in the mirror. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment