Friday, December 26, 2014

Good intentions.


I'm reflecting on my Christmas... which was full of family and food and stories. It was also full of expectations and side-way glances. I've learned that my memories of family members when I was younger doesn't always match up to the reality. Sometimes that's a bummer to face... but other times, it's a welcomed refresher.

Preparing for my trip to see family, I'd been thinking about not wanting to do it. It's so much easier to stay in my comfort bubble. To stay home and spend the holidays with friends. Friends who have similar interests. Similar viewpoints. Basically, I wanted to avoid the drama.

But last night, surrounded my family in a tiny cramped (but cozy) vacation apartment, I realized something.

We are not perfect.
And everyone wasn't there.
And some people I get along with better than others.

But.

I realize that I need to give up on grudges and just be happy to have family.
I realize that I don't have a perfect family or have perfect memories and that it's okay.
I realize that I need to cherish the goofy stories that make everyone roll their eyes.

At the end of the day, I am at peace.
I realize that our intentions are good and our hearts our pure.


No comments:

Post a Comment