Friday, December 19, 2014

Your own skin.


In a meeting with a client this morning, she admitted the following statement to me...

"I'm addicted to everything but myself."

It takes everything in my being not to shake her. To not give her a list of all of the reasons why she should be excited about her recovery journey. To not try to make her see that she's making a mountain out of the molehill that are her problems. To not want to take her home with me and provide the structure, accountability, and support that she so desperately needs.

But, of course, I do none of the above.

I look at her with caring eyes and an empathic heart, and tell her that I know she's struggling. I tell her that I know the journey is difficult. I tell her that while it might not seem worth it now, the journey begins with a new step each day. I tell her that I believe in her.

Therapy is hard.

Sometimes, I wonder if it's harder on the client, or harder on the therapist...

No comments:

Post a Comment