Thursday, July 24, 2014

The patch.


"I'm beautiful, strong, independent. I can be whoever I want to."

"I don't need anything... that's just who I am. That's, like, empowering."

Beauty is certainly a state of mind, as Dove's slogan suggests. When it's your state of mind against the beauty of what is staring back at you in the mirror, however, we tend to be harsh critics.

I stumbled upon this video today, and love it. I'm a fan of Dove's message and have viewed several different videos, but I particularly like the psychology behind the patch and the video diaries... how the progression of the videos caught glimpses of change in each participants' language and feelings about herself. It goes to show that change in self-confidence isn't instant. It's not an overnight thing. Confidence is progressive, and takes time to develop. A little catch of your eye, here.... a comment from someone, there.

Belief in yourself, appreciation for yourself, and acceptance of yourself are so important whether you are 10, 30, or 80. When we love ourselves, it's easier for us to allow others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment