Monday, August 11, 2014

Bloom.


I remember having a small pillow when I was little that I kept with my dolls. If I remember correctly, it was just the perfect size for them, more like a decorative pillow than something functional for a girl. The words "bloom where you are planted" were hand-embroidered it by my mom. All these years later, whenever I hear that phrase, I think of the little pillow.

Throughout life, there are times when we wish we were somewhere different. Wanting to escape from our realities. Whether because of unhappiness, anxiety, or frustration, we find ourselves wanting our life situations to be changed. In an instant. 

A different job.
A different relationship.
A different city.

Thinking that by escaping or changing the scenery, things within us might be changed. And while that may be the case at times, we can't run away from everything. Sometimes it's important to stay rooted and face the issue. And in the process, we bloom.

We learn things about ourselves that we never did before. We learn to communicate our needs. We learn to be assertive. To budget finances better. To cook for ourselves. To engage in self-care. To spend time alone. To find balance. To meet new people. To change a flat tire. To do things that are new and scary and empowering.

All because we stayed.
Because we rooted.

And in the end, we will bloom.

1 comment:

  1. you've blossomed well - keep growing!
    <3
    Mom

    ReplyDelete