Friday, August 1, 2014

Reading therapy.


I remember discovering my love of reading as a pre-teen. Or maybe even younger.

Ramona Quimby
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and really, anything else by Ronald Dahl)
The Secret Garden
Island of the Blue Dolphins

One of the things that I love about reading is that I always learn something about myself. Identification with the characters, thought provocation within myself, a discussion opportunity with friends... books always offer more to me than just words on a page. Lately, the books I have read have given me a lot of food for thought. Without realizing it, they've been lined up with where I've been in life. Or I guess more appropriately, I've pulled from the pages ways to apply meaning to my life. The way they always have, and I'm guessing... the way they always will.

Books have always been a comforter to me. When teenage life was stressful, books were there. When I wanted to escape, books were there. When I wanted to understand something more about life, a book is there. When I wanted to feel connected to friends who recommend literary pieces, books are there.

As an adult, these I associate these same feelings with books. This week, I spent a lot of time with clients talking about coping skills, and found myself talking a lot about the power of reading. I realize that not everyone shares my love of books, but find that reading can offer so many opportunities for offering distraction, filling boredom, and even offering education. Additionally, I can read books no matter what mood I'm in... and can find something to suit my mood whether I'm frustrated, happy, needing comfort, or lonely.

"Books are our quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." Charles Elliott

No comments:

Post a Comment