Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Square one.


There are times when I feel like I start over every day. As if every day I go back to square one. As if each day presents new challenges that I hadn't prepared for or thought of the night before, in my cesspool of "what if" thinking before finally falling sleep. Just when I think I'm able to consider all possible scenarios, life throws a curveball and I'm able to add another option to the ongoing laundry list.

If I stay stuck in that holding pattern of negativity, I know I'm headed nowhere quickly. Instead of recognizing achievements (however tiny), utilizing coping skills (self-talk, challenging negative thoughts) and reaching out to support, it is so easy to withdraw and stay inside of my thoughts. 

As easy as it is to stay stuck, it is so important to find a way to pull back as see your situation in the "big picture". That is, to see the experiences you have witnessed, the knowledge you have learned, the strength (emotionally, mentally, physically, spiritually) that you've developed, and the power that you have gained. You are not the same person that you were last month or even last week. You are not the person that you were yesterday. 

Your journey is yours. Stop hitting the pause button. Keep living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment