Monday, August 18, 2014

Everyone has a story.





I meet new people all the time. In therapy, new clients never cease to offer explanations and reasons behind their stories.... "I wasn't always like this"... "You must think I'm crazy"... "I've never told anyone that before".

I wonder how it feels to prepare for therapy, the thoughts before being called back to my office. Preparing to sit in front of a person I've never met, to answer questions about my life story, to become vulnerable to their comments and (in my mind) their judgments. For people who have ever experienced talk therapy, it must be nerve-wracking. And so I do my best to offer support and encouragement. 

I wonder sometimes, however, if I check my judgement-free attitude at the door when I leave my office. It's certainly something to consider... how things might be if I treated everyone in my life as if they were a first-time client. Vulnerable to life. Not wanting to be judged. Only wanting to be accepted for who they are. Wanting who they are to be good enough.

Yesterday, I saw this video which was produced by Rethink Homelessness, an organization in Central Florida geared to assist their community rethink who the homeless really are. It's amazing how in less than a minute and a half, perspective about life can change. I invite you to view it below:




Remember that everyone has a story. Whether it's your annoying neighbor who always complains about something, the customer at work who is snippy and in a rush, or the homeless woman who sleeps on your church's front steps... everyone has a story to tell. Instead of passing judgment, be open to learning. There's usually more to their story than you could imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment