Thursday, June 12, 2014

I want to be a bucket filler.


 
 
There are times when we feel worn out, overwhelmed, and stressed... when we feel as though we have nothing else to give. During those times, I'm reminded of an illustration I heard of a few years ago about a bucket. I've used it in group before a million times. It goes something like this.
 
We have a bucket that starts out empty.
 
Positive things...
People we love.
Self-esteem.
Passions we have - things that "feed" us.
Those things contribute to filling the bucket.
 
Negative things...
People who suck us dry
Selfishness
Not standing up for ourselves.
Being overworked in any and/or all areas of our lives.
Those things are holes that are poked into our bucket.
 
It's up to us to decide whether we surround ourselves with more "bucket fillers" or "hole pokers". We have to pay attention to making sure that we don't exhaust our resources before replenishing them. This morning I read an idea that really resonated with me. I feel like I want to tell it to every person I meet today. I feel like I want to take the entire day to stop and think about what it means to me, and put the madness in my life to rest.
 
Give 100% to the most important things,
instead of 20% to everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment