Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Kinder words.




Have you ever been to the hospital and notice that a patient is asked to rate their "discomfort level" instead of their "pain"? Pain is a more powerful word, and even by just thinking about it, people may actually be more sensitive to experience the sensation than being asked to consider their discomfort.

I wonder sometimes if we are truly aware of the words that we use in our daily vocabulary and the impact that they have on our own thoughts, feelings, and behaviors... and those of the people around us. And that if we were to pay attention to them, would we characterize them as being "negative" or "positive"? If you were to be consciously aware of them for a day and tried to think more positively, could you do it?

Here are some examples, along with some alternative options with milder/kinder wording:

- I hate when you leave your dishes in the sink!       - Would you mind putting your dishes in the dishwasher?
- We always have to do things your way.               - I'd like to give some input. I have a few ideas.
- I can't do anything right. I'll never change.            - I know I'll eventually get it right.

Of course, when people talk about positive thinking/talking, I'm not referencing that everything has to be sunshine and rainbows all the time... but there is a clear distinction between negative and neutral/positive. Nobody (including ourselves) want or need to be reminded that we don't measure up to other people. We are already our own biggest critic. We need to be uplifted and encouraged. Using kinder words is a good place to start, especially with our own self-talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment