Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Let's get uncomfortable together.

The Hole, by Portia Nelson

Chapter I
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I fall in.
I am lost ... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes me forever to find a way out.
Chapter II
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place
but, it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.
Chapter III
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in ... it's a habit.
my eyes are open
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.
Chapter IV
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.
Chapter V
I walk down another street.

This fabulous poem written by Portia Nelson is epically one of the best portrayals of the stages of change. For me, as a visual person, I can close my eyes and imagine a person (most often as I imagine this story, it's of myself) walking down a street and falling in. Falling in a hole and freaking out. Grasping for straws. Wondering how in the world this all happened? Who pushed me in? How did I get here?  Never once (or at least very rarely) stopping to consider what I did, to bring myself to the place where I am at the current moment.
Today, I am reminded that I walk down a street. Everyday. And I make a choice on whether I fall into potholes, whether I walk around them, or whether I choose to walk down streets that are smoothly paved. If I fall into a pothole, I recognize that I need to take responsibility for getting there... which means that I need to also take responsibility for getting out too.
Sometimes in life we develop unhealthy habits that are difficult to break. Sometimes we find ourselves not really wanting to break them. 
Because they are comfortable.
They might not really serve us. But they are comfortable. And breaking those habits would mean that we have to learn new ways of living our lives.
Outside of our comfort zones.
Living uncomfortably means... change. Ewwww. I said change. 
But change can be beautiful. Change can be wonderful. Change can be the most exciting thing that you've ever done before. But until you take a chance to get uncomfortable and live outside of your comfort zone, you won't ever get there.
So let's get uncomfortable together.
I'm ready... what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment