Monday, June 30, 2014

Turn people into trees.


When I go out of town by myself, I always bring my camera. One of the things I enjoy doing most is going for a walk, taking my camera, and photographing things that stand out to me. My most memorable experiences was in Savannah. I gave myself a little challenge to only photograph doors. So with my camera by my side, I walked through the many streets and alleys of the downtown Savannah area looking for doors... bright colors, intricate woodwork, anything that caught my eye. One of my favorites from that experience was a wooden garage door. I actually have it framed here in my office. Whenever I glance at it, I am reminded of that weekend. Just me, my camera, and a morning walk. Appreciating my surroundings, not wishing to change anything about them, taking it all in.

I've always wanted, but never have, challenged myself to photograph people. Just as they are. With no judgments. This morning's quote by Ram Dass has me thinking more and more about it. 

What would happen if we just accepted people as they are without a thought of judging them, wanting to change them, making suggestions for how they could improve themselves (often to our liking)? If you just embraced that every person who walks this planet has something to offer you, if only you were open to receiving it? 

How much less emotional would we be... less anxious about how other people might judge us... less angry when someone doesn't act a way that we'd like them to... less disappointed about the expectations that were not met. This phenomenon of total acceptance and appreciation is absolutely attainable. We just need to open our eyes to the wonders of individuality. Of compassion. Of love. It's okay that you are a little bent because you were stretching to find the sun or that your bark is a little darker than mine. That's what makes you beautiful in our forest.

My goal today is to turn people into trees. I invite you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment