Thursday, May 15, 2014

86,400 seconds.

I used to use this reading during my morning meditation group with clients. How powerful to consider that we have 86,400 seconds in each day and it's up to us to decide how we use them.

We can waste them away watching mindless television.
Being bitter about our past and arguing with others.
Thinking negative.

I reflected just now about how it's 10:30 and how I've already used up 37,800 seconds of my day. While admittedly most of that has been spent sleeping, I think about my waking seconds and how I have chosen to spend them. I've wished my husband happy birthday, I've made plans with my in-laws for dinner this weekend, I've had good conversation with two friends about life. I've also complained. I've procrastinated. I've not done things with my seconds that could have been beneficial... I've wasted some of them.

I think that sometimes, we go through life without much intention. Kind of just floating around and not really paying attention to the thoughts that we have, the messages that we deliver to others, or the behaviors that we engage in. Essentially, we waste our precious seconds. Seconds that we will never get back.

Today I challenge you to live with purpose. Not that you cannot have fun (or let's be honest, watch mindless television). But perhaps we need to balance our seconds more with purpose. Share a kind word with someone who means a lot to you. Thank someone for making a difference in your life. Pay it forward. Try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment