Thursday, May 1, 2014

Happiness.

 


A lot of clients come to me because they are unhappy and so strongly desire to become happy again (or happy for the first time). Yet when we start talking about what needs to change in order for them to achieve happiness, so many changes are focused outwardly.

A job. A relationship. More money. Family.

I submit that happiness is not found focusing outside of ourselves Sure, it's easy to think that if a magic wand was waved and these aspects of our lives were changed, there may be SOME improvements. But I know plenty of people who seem to have great jobs, excellent relationships, a lot more money than I do, and great families... but who are still unhappy.
 
Happiness fluctuates. Happiness isn't a constant state of being. It's not like if we find it one time, it is guaranteed to stick around forever. I think people sometimes get caught up in the search for happiness. "If only ___________, then I'll feel happy", as if happiness is a destination for their lives.

Happiness is a mood just like sadness, or anger, or worry.... emotions which I am thankful for, yet appreciate their vacancy from my life when able. Yet those very emotions make me crave happiness even more, and make efforts to search for it whenever possible. Happiness is a mood that is found internally. Sure, there are external things that may contribute to or influence my happiness, but I am the ultimate decider.

And so are you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment