Friday, May 23, 2014

Real beauty.


I'm the first one to admit that I don't always use the most positive wording if you were to ask me to describe myself. And neither would my friends. Yesterday, we got into a discussion about how women are so quick to judge themselves (and other women at times) harshly, and that when a woman does say something positive about themselves, they're seen as arrogant and conceited.

You know how sometimes you see something, read something, or hear something, and in that instant your perspective about life changes? That happened for me when I saw this video. After wiping away tears, I thought to myself how I would have described myself, how my drawing would have turned out, and how differently the drawing of the person describing me would have looked.


I don't normally ask this, but if you are reading this, would you please share this blog post link? If you feel led to do so, I hope you share it so that everyone you know can have a chance to see this video. If you are a woman, I know that you might know another woman who would benefit from seeing this video. If you are a man, I know that you know a woman (or perhaps are raising a girl) who would benefit from seeing this video.

To have a chance to be made aware that their real beauty exists far beyond their own critical viewpoint.
Far beyond paying attention to their flaws.
Far beyond the parts of her that she doesn't like.
Far beyond minimizing the good.
Far beyond what she doesn't even notice.

Because other people do.

Other people see her freckles and love them.
Other people see her salt and pepper hair and think it gives her character.
Other people see her scars and know they tell a story.
Other people see her shyness and want to know more.
Other people see her smile and want to know what makes her laugh.

You are beautiful.





1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for the morning pick-me-up and reminder. I'll pass it on (as soon as I wipe my tears LOL).

    ReplyDelete