Monday, May 19, 2014

Shoot for the moon.


Yesterday was my birthday. At 33, I've found that I am more comfortable with myself than I've ever been before. I'm taking better care of myself... embracing my body more... enjoying friendships more... but I know that I still struggle with stuff. There are things that I don't like about myself... things that I avoid... things that I know that are so obvious to see in the mirror staring back at me, but that I'm not ready to face.

This morning, a friend of mine posted this quote from Anne Lamott on Facebook. (A quick shout-out... thanks Deanna for sharing this message this morning!) It hit me like a ton of bricks. While being 65 is twice a life away, I realized that I probably shouldn't wait another 30 years to get frustrated that I haven't written a novel or gone swimming in warm pools or oceans. Or given up on people-pleasing for that matter. Gah, I hate people-pleasing. So I'm giving myself a birthday present. The birthday present I'm giving myself this morning is permission to relax in warm pools this summer. For laughing out loud... even if it means making that weird loud laugh. For being silly and enjoying friendships. For loving without holding back, and telling those people how I feel.

I encourage you to do the same. Whether you are 40 or 11 (another shout-out to my 11 year old readers!) it's not too early or too late to be the person you were meant to be. I'm so thankful that we ALL have an opportunity to change who we are... to further develop into the people we are meant to be. To change relationships. To nurture relationships that we choose to hold onto. To visit places that we've always want to go. To try something new. To write a book.

I hope you shoot for the moon.


No comments:

Post a Comment