Wednesday, May 28, 2014

How You Made Them Feel.


Without having ever known her, Maya Angelou made me feel loved. Through her words, she made me feel as if life is worth living if I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and that no matter what happened, everything is going to turn out okay. I can't tell you the number of times I clipped out a quote of hers from a magazine over the years, read a book she wrote and was lead to tears, or read an article or listened to an interview of her and was mesmerized by her wisdom.

One of my favorite Maya Angelou quotes is above: "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

When I think about this quote, I reflect on two things.

First, I think about myself... and the things I say and do around and to other people. I think of how I make them feel. How will I be remembered?

Secondly, I think about others in my life... how they make me feel.

I think about the people that I love. The way their embrace can make the worst day seem to melt away. The way a sarcastic text message from a friend can make me cackle with laughter. The way a supportive phone call can help me through a tailspin of anxiety.

RIP Maya Angelou. Thank you for making a difference in the lives of so many. People years from now may forget the words you spoke or the actions that you performed.... but they will never, ever forget the impact that you made on their lives. At least I won't.


No comments:

Post a Comment