Friday, May 16, 2014

Music Therapy -- Roar

Music has a way of helping me connect my feelings to thoughts and concepts that I otherwise could not make sense or meaning. Sometimes when I listen to a song I'm brought to joy (or tears)... as if the song writer knew EXACTLY how I felt, and somehow the universe just knew that I needed to hear those lyrics at that moment in time. Funny how that happens. How awesome and therapeutic. I am so thankful for music. So appreciative for music and the opportunity that music has to change my mood, to influence my perception and life situation.

Katy Perry, and her song Roar, is one of the most powerful songs I've heard. This song speaks to the importance of assertiveness and standing up for yourself. I hope these words resonate with you today.



I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
So I sat quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything

You held me down, but I got up (HEY!)
Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, you hear that sound
Like thunder gonna shake the ground
You held me down, but I got up (HEY!)
Get ready 'cause I’ve had enough
I see it all, I see it now

[Chorus]
I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me roar
Louder, louder than a lion
'Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me roar
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You’re gonna hear me roar

Now I’m floating like a butterfly
Stinging like a bee I earned my stripes
I went from zero, to my own hero

You held me down, but I got up (HEY!)
Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, you hear that sound
Like thunder gonna shake the ground
You held me down, but I got up (HEY!)
Get ready ’cause I’ve had enough
I see it all, I see it now

[Chorus]

Ro-oar, ro-oar, ro-oar, ro-oar, ro-oar


[Chorus]



1 comment:

  1. ROAR - Indeed how awesome and therapeutic this song is. Last summer I was hiking in Vermont and fell in love with the New England area (I live in the Southern Mid-West). One morning I crossed over to Hanover, New Hampshire and ate at a restaurant/bakery next to the campus of Dartmouth College. Upon returning to home I did a little internet browsing to see more of the area.

    My search included a YouTube video that Children's Hospital of Dartmouth made using Katy Perry's song. Talk about tears of joy! Several brave children lip-sync the song with boldness (and fun). Thanks to someone's creative mind, a bunch of families and staff who deal with tough stuff daily HAD A BLAST!

    Nothing against Ms. Perry's video... but she's been outdone :-) Take a peek and be blessed!


    C

    ReplyDelete