Thursday, May 22, 2014

Interview with a therapist.



If you've ever wanted to interview a therapist (to get analyze them for a change) click play and listen to me answer questions from the students of an Introduction to Psychology course this past Spring. I answer questions about whether a client has ever called me in the middle of the night, what the hardest thing about being a therapist is, and what is the biggest myth about therapy. As you are watching, be sure to notice that Polly (my black lab) is staring at shadows on the wall... she probably needs therapy.

If you'd like to save yourself 28 minutes, allow me to give you the Cliff's Notes version below (let's be honest, you totally used Cliff's Notes when you were in school...) These were my top 5 questions asked during my interview.

1. Did I always want to be a therapist?

Not at all. I had grand plans to be a marketing guru living in a loft in downtown Atlanta. But in the same semester that I made a C in Macro Economics, I made an A in Introduction to Psychology, and my really awesome Psychology professor talked me into changing majors so that I could change the world. I never looked back, and I've never been happier.

2. Have I ever gotten a phone call from a client in the middle of the night?

No... because my clients don't have my personal phone number. They have my office number, which has the phone number to the crisis facility on our voicemail. If a client were to need to get in touch with me in the middle of the night, surely they must be in crisis, so that number would serve them better than talking to me.

3. What is the best thing about being a therapist?

Participating in the process of change for a person's life. I know that I am not responsible for a client's change, but to be present for their change, to be able to offer suggestions, and to witness growth in another person is by far the most exciting thing ever.

4. What is the most challenging thing about being a therapist?

Being a part of someone's change process, and seeing them stuck... and not being able to help them through. Whether it is because they don't believe in themselves, or whether they are self-destructive, it is so difficult for me to what something to happen that I know is outside of my control. Above all, I know that I need to meet my clients where they are, not where I want them to be.

5. What is the biggest myth about therapy?

The biggest myth about therapy is that only "crazy" people need therapy. I see so many different kinds of people for counseling... kids, teenagers, mothers, husbands, teachers, bankers, professors, or grandparents. Mental health and substance abuse issues affect all races, religions, and socioeconomic statuses. Often people recognize they need therapy when they are going through a challenging situation and want it to go away -- some of my clients might only need 4-6 sessions in order to help them process their thoughts and feelings, while other clients might require therapy for several months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment